Goal setting is essential, and here’s a quick recap of why. I set myself some goals for this blog. And I’ve learned some valuable lessons along the way to success. These are my goals in a nutshell:
- Share useful, actionable insights to help you become a better leader, get seen, heard, and promoted
- And outlet for my thoughts and ideas
- Give you the info you need to make a decision about whether or when you want to work with me.
But I started working on part 1 and 2 only, and left 3 (because issues).
Realistic Goal Setting
Having success with 1 and 2 is great, but left me with a challenge in moving to 3 – because I can’t just add it on top. I need to change parts of my process to include it naturally, and to make sure I don’t get that awkward, unwanted hard sell vibe. yuck. I promise you now, that is not what’s happening. Not on my watch.
These are 3 Key Lessons about Goal Setting for Success:
- When working on your goals, work on ALL aspects at the same time, even if this slows you down at first. In the long run it saves you time.
- Sometimes you need to take apart what you’ve built so that you can add that important element you forget or now need.
- Define your goals according to what you control instead of what you want.
Let me explain this last one
What I want: For you to pick me. Pick me! Pick me! I’m awesome! Work with me! But seriously, I want you rationally minded people who know that soft skills are important, to become even better at leadership. This world needs leaders like you. We cannot continue with how it’s always been done. We need to and can shift the trend line.
But I don’t have control over this. The decision is yours to make. So this can’t be my goal.
What I can control: provide the information that you need to make the decision.
Whatever I know, I need to share. Whatever I don’t know, I need to go find out. This is all within my control. This can be my goal.
This post is part of my special Coaching Tips Series. This series was inspired by my clients and the core themes in their challenges. When we can apply these tips, we bring a lot of ease into our lives and step into our leadership. Want to talk it through with me? Use a free Experience Coaching session and I’ll help you.